Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Funny things you have overheard at a gun counter (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=149450)

elkhunter11 09-22-2012 03:45 PM

Not at the gun counter, but at the local range, after missing a gong or silhouette target several times in a row:

"I don't do well on targets, but I shoot great on game.If that was a deer, I could hit it with every shot".

ReayMan 09-22-2012 06:16 PM

Hear that a lot!! Haha they would hit it with every shot all right, anywhere from the deers nose to his ass.

sullijr 09-22-2012 08:56 PM

Overheard on the range

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 1614820)
"All I have ever used is a 243, never shot a deer less than 300 yards....."
Oh, I forgot this one " I have a buddy that can shoot a quarter at 200 yards every time - I've seen him do it!"
The guy apparently used a 7600 Remington and packed his own "special magnum" loads - 30'06 no less!
Cat

Is he from South Africa???Oh I forgot it was a 338 !!!

catnthehat 09-22-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sullijr (Post 1616876)
Is he from South Africa???Oh I forgot it was a 338 !!!

Oh, and those were the mild ones, you've heard some of the ones that are "way out there"!!:)
Cat

LacLaBicheNS 09-22-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDL (Post 1616289)
I was told at WSS on time by their self proclaimed "military expert" that I would never again be able to get any 7.62x39 ammo in Canada because the Americans did'nt want us to have it.

I know exactly which guy your talking about. The first time I dealt with him I thought he was one of the better gun counter guy's I dealt with. But than I have dealt with him maybe 3 or 4 times after and each time leaves me more irrated with him. Guy think's he's the cats azz of life and everyone else is less than him. Wish I could come across him outside of the store.

elkhunter11 09-22-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Oh, and those were the mild ones, you've heard some of the ones that are "way out there"!!
Cat
I have heard several of the "way out there" stories from the fellow from South Africa. :)

Matt L. 09-22-2012 09:26 PM

Well? How about sharing one or two? :)

375FMNE 09-22-2012 09:51 PM

guy tells me "my buddy & I are shooting 30-06s, I'm handloading for them, got em goin over 4000fps"

Trakker282 09-23-2012 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 375FMNE (Post 1616986)
guy tells me "my buddy & I are shooting 30-06s, I'm handloading for them, got em goin over 4000fps"

55gr Sabot...also known as Remington Accelerators....bloody hard to find and a barrel burner too...not to mention pricey. Speed at muzzle (estimation on box) 4080fps.

Some of the stories we hear from people make me wonder how society isn't a few more members short.
One in particular was a guy at the gun counter trying his best to tell the guy he killed a grizzly with a ten shot 22. Just kept shootin till it dropped.

Darwin Awards anyone?

Wellsy 09-23-2012 05:50 AM

I was in an outdoor store in Minnesota a few years back and I walked by the handgun section. I stopped to look in the case and the sales guy hands what looked like a snub nosed .38 revolver or something to the guy next to me and proceeds to tell him that the benifit of this gun is that if he had it in his jacket pocket and needed to fire from inside the pocket, a revolver wouldn't jam or get caught up in the fabric like the slide on pistol. Quite the sales pitch. I remember thinking only in America could I hear this.

avb3 09-23-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trakker282 (Post 1617235)
One in particular was a guy at the gun counter trying his best to tell the guy he killed a grizzly with a ten shot 22. Just kept shootin till it dropped.

Darwin Awards anyone?

HE didn't but, Bella Twin did in 1953.

Quote:

On a spring day back in 1953, 63-year-old Bella Twin and her friend Dave Auger were hunting grouse and picking berries near Lesser Slave Lake in the Swan Hills of northern Alberta, Canada. As the story goes, they were walking an oil-exploration survey line when they ran into a humongous grizzly bear following the same line toward them. The two feared that if they ran, the grizzly would notice them and give chase, so they hid in a brush pile and hoped the big bruin would pass without any trouble.

Unfortunately for the bear, it was intent on getting its share of berries and came very near Twin and Auger. Frightened by the close encounter, Twin raised the rifle she was carrying and fired. Her aim was dead on. The grizzly was struck in the head and fell dead.

Bella’s bear was no ordinary griz. Its skull scored 26 5/16, placing it at the top of the list of Boone and Crockett world’s records where it stayed for many years. The bear currently ranks number 30 among the all-time records and still stands as the longest-reigning provincial big-game record in Alberta.

In the half century since Twin killed her record grizzly, many differing accounts of the incident have been given. However, all of them agree on one thing: little Bella Twin killed that 1,000-pound-plus griz with the humblest of all rifles—a single-shot, bolt-action, .22-caliber rimfire. With just one long-rifle cartridge, this petite Cree Indian grandmother finished off one of the biggest grizzlies ever documented and earned remembrance as one of the world’s truly legendary hunters.

http://www.angelfire.com/on2/LandOwn...s/GRIZLEY2.JPG

catnthehat 09-23-2012 10:06 AM

I've found 4 different dates for the killing of that bear, and three different numbers of rounds intoo the skul!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
She did however, kill it , that is for sure.
dunno why it was registered with B&C as was stated in one article however, , I don't think she had a liscence, and I doubt very much the .22LR was legal to hunt big game then, but I may be wrong on that.:sign0161:
Cat

greylynx 09-23-2012 03:25 PM

I remember some guy yappin at Art Boyce telling him what a lousy gun smith he was while I was grabbing a colemen generator in the basement of Edmonton Sporting Goods.

The next thing I saw was a fist coming out of that little hole in the wall where Art took in guns and cold cocking the customer.

The customer sort of staggered away.

The funny part was the customer came back one week later apologizing.

PistonBroke 09-23-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bat119 (Post 1614776)
“A bullet doesn't gain full speed until its 50 yards from the muzzle “

Wholesale sports

I love those jet powered bullets!

lmao...lmao good one,,,,lmao

Ryry4 09-23-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 1617498)
I've found 4 different dates for the killing of that bear, and three different numbers of rounds intoo the skul!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
dunno why it was registered with B&C as was stated in one article however, , I don't think she had a liscence, and I doubt very much the .22LR was legal to hunt big game then, but I may be wrong on that.:sign0161:
Cat

Native hunters don't need a license and can hunt with any caliber.

catnthehat 09-23-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryry4 (Post 1617924)
Native hunters don't need a license and can hunt with any caliber.

I thought that the bear would have to be tagged and the hunt done "in faqir chase" which would mean in a regular season to enter it into the books.
Cat

bcpappy 09-23-2012 05:39 PM

Quite a few years back I bought a 7 rem mag and some 160 grain accubonds at the same time, the other customer next to me said "those are too big to shoot in a 7mm, they hurt my shoulder. I use 150 grain bullets at the biggest" He was about 6 feet tall, wasn't skinny and looked to almost be 40 years old. I laughed at him and walked away (I'm 5'8" and was 23 at the time) I thought he was joking, he got upset when I laughed.

gitrdun 09-23-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 1616920)
I have heard several of the "way out there" stories from the fellow from South Africa. :)

This fellow from South Africa whom has been mentioned a time or two, is he from Lethbridge? No names need to be mentioned, a simple yes or no will suffice.

elkhunter11 09-23-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

This fellow from South Africa whom has been mentioned a time or two, is he from Lethbridge? No names need to be mentioned, a simple yes or no will suffice.
He has lived in Fort Mcmurray for over 30 years.

gitrdun 09-23-2012 08:27 PM

Oh, OK...different guy.

Rackmastr 09-23-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rem338win (Post 1616005)
".243 ish da best moose gun ever......me and my friendsh sheen dis moose out in da bushes.....dey are bangin away.....nutin' happensh. I take out da too-fordy t'ree and bang! Wamo! Dat big bull falls down..."

"No kidding....how far?"

"Ohhh.....mile, mile and a half, two miles anyways....."

Best moment working in the gunshop ever.

Haha thats a classic!!!

Big Racks 09-23-2012 08:48 PM

Yesterday at WSS North, was at customer service to buy tags and had to wait while a fellow bought a rangefinder, a rifle, a case of ammo or some sort, and some various other odds and ends (why I had to wait 15 minutes at the customer service counter for my 2 minute transaction and they weren't being tended to at the till is another matter altogether :mad0030:). Anyways, the young fellow who had been helping bring the stuff up to the counter for him is there chatting while the lady is ringing the items up. The customer says something about maybe buying a handgun in the near future. Young salesman says, well then you want a Sig Sauer. Fellow says Sig what??? Salesman says "Sig Sooowwweerrrr" - dragging it out real slow like, then "they're like the Rolls Royce of handguns!!!".

I had to put my 2 cents in and told the guy the obvious advice - go handle a bunch of handguns and buy the one that fits. I told him I had shot the "Rolls Royce" before and personally it didn't fit my hand worth a sh!t.

Rolls Royce of handguns :sHa_sarcasticlol:

avb3 09-23-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rem338win (Post 1616005)
".243 ish da best moose gun ever......me and my friendsh sheen dis moose out in da bushes.....dey are bangin away.....nutin' happensh. I take out da too-fordy t'ree and bang! Wamo! Dat big bull falls down..."

"No kidding....how far?"

"Ohhh.....mile, mile and a half, two miles anyways....."

Best moment working in the gunshop ever.

About a mile or so huh? LOL

Twisted Canuck 09-23-2012 09:31 PM

One that comes to mind is a fellow who explained he figured out why he was having trouble hitting anything with his .25-06: The bullets were too fast, and were obvioulsy fragmenting and flying apart before they could hit the animal. :scared0018:

I also really enjoy guys who blow holes the size of dinner plates in deer with a .243.......I had no idea they could expand to make a 12" exit wound.

dogslayer403 09-23-2012 09:38 PM

Was in a shop today overheard a fellow and his buddy picking out ammo one guys says to the other while pulling a shell out of the box I use these here plastic tip ones, other guy says why he replies because they are better ok then other guy grabs a box and away they go. Not that great of a story but made me chuckle a bit, and then at the gun counter same store a fellow was asking to look at some rifles but looked very confused the salesman asked to see his PAL before handling the guy replies what's that? I chuckle again I used to get annoyed by being asked for my PAL before handling rifles but I can see it might be a good thing.

petew 09-24-2012 11:05 AM

Had the gun counter guy wat WSS tell me "only stupid people shoot a 54 cal muzzle loader" and "they don't make 54 cal round balls".

seabass23 09-24-2012 01:27 PM

WSS check out counter: I hand the girl a white box of .223 ammo and my PAL. She grabs the shells and dismisses my PAL saying "Oh, you don't need that. These are CARTRIDGES". :sign0161:

winger7mm 09-24-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seabass23 (Post 1619117)
WSS check out counter: I hand the girl a white box of .223 ammo and my PAL. She grabs the shells and dismisses my PAL saying "Oh, you don't need that. These are CARTRIDGES". :sign0161:

Thats funny :D

winger7mm 09-24-2012 01:32 PM

Walmart

I was out buying a couple of boxes of 6shot for huns and after a few min I was helped told the girl what I wanted, she gave it to me and started to walk away. I asked her if she wanted to see my license and if she would take them to the front for me:bad_boys_20: "oh my bad, I am! I already got in trouble for that last week" :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Its not a great story but, it goes to show how little people get trained properly

colin455 09-24-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 1617498)
Cat

Hey Cat. If I remember correctly, the actual bear is standing in the Kinuso Museum. Cute little museum with weird hours. You call the number on the door and they come and open it for you. :D
Right friendly folks. The actual story is on a plaque with the bear.
He's HUGE!