Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   February suffield cow elk quota hunt (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=238941)

Flatlandliver 12-11-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter (Post 2654677)
Well, I can't use 2 elk so when I am drawn, I guess one elk will be set free.

Maybe you could bring a helper that could use the meat. The goal is to harvest as many elk as possible.

TBark 12-11-2014 07:22 PM

Sounds like group of 2 means each get 2 tags, so bring a trailer.
2 tags ea likely because if you see one elk, there will be a few dozen, shoot and keep shooting.

TBark

Habfan 12-11-2014 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBark (Post 2654722)
2 tags ea likely because if you see one elk, there will be a few dozen, shoot and keep shooting.

TBark

Correct !

Flatlandliver 12-11-2014 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBark (Post 2654722)

TBark

Potential for a rodeo? Hope safety is on everybody's mind out there first!

4x4bowhunter 12-11-2014 07:33 PM

Quota hunt

When ever SRD holds a quota hunt, it is open to everyone. These tags do not effect any priority. Everyone is welcome to apply. It will not effect your ability to buy a general elk license next year or limit you applying for any elk draws. This is because it is a quota hunt. Like the first antlerless elk quota hunt in 2012 on the suffield base, A few years ago there was a white tail quota hunt after the General season closed for the area near McGrath. That hunt was first come first serve. Everyone welcome. this hunt will be the same but done in the draw process so that everyone has equal opportunity.

catnthehat 12-11-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 (Post 2654542)
You can apply with a maximum of 2 wins on the same application. You both get 2 tags or you both get nada.

That's kinds what I figured .
Cat

npauls 12-11-2014 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportster (Post 2654583)
dont try and pull a tag for meat that you may not need

I am not going sit back and hope i can get an elk from someone who may not even get drawn.

I have found an experienced hunter that has said he will join me and help me out. He doesnt need the meat and has said he is fine with me taking both animals which will get eaten.

I didnt take anything for animals the last 2 hunting seasons so 2 elk in the freezer could really help me and my family out this winter.

Habfan 12-11-2014 07:38 PM

1 guy gets drawn he gets 2 tags. Only 1 vehicle per drawn person. If he wants to bring somebody or somebodies then they must be in the 1 vehicle. The amount of people you bring with is up to the base to decide, you will find out that # if drawn. :)

waterninja 12-11-2014 07:41 PM

One thing that hasn't been said much in this thread is what a great oppurtunity this is for a person to harvest an elk. I know I'm a little excited.
Sure the rules could have been made more understandable but I'm sure things will be clarified in the next couple weeks. I would sure hate to be someone answering the REALM helpline for the next while. lol

timsesink 12-11-2014 08:01 PM

Fantastic! I'll be putting in for sure!

Big Sky 12-11-2014 08:01 PM

What's access like on the base in Feb?

There could be a lot of snow with huge drifts making things very difficult for truck travel.

Do they plow access roads on the base in winter? It wouldn't be a lot of fun to head to the base, expecting to hunt and all that you end up doing is digging and towing.

As long as you can get back a ways, hunters could snowshoe or ski. Could be fun getting your elk back to the truck.

Leafy 12-11-2014 08:19 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, realistically the number of participants per week seems to managed at 125. So if the herd is nearing the numbers people are saying, removing even 2000 per year would sustain the current numbers but really do nothing in the reduction of this herd.

So assuming a higher success rate of both on and off this area, there would be near 2500 tags to be issued. If half, 1250 licences were allocated to inside the cofounds of CFB, that's two and a half months of hunting. This would cost more than buying a herd of cattle that size :) Where's the golden goose here ?

Now the other half of these tags could not be used outside the confines as the land owners now are upset at the pressure there. Couldn't imagine 1250 licences being issued for this area.

This situation is unfortunately out of control. Millions will be spent on nothing more than allowing opportunity to try and save face with the media, not our group. May sounds harsh, but these funds need to be put to better use IMO. The players in this game should be held accountable for all loss due to their poor management and these golden goose funds allocated to the general good of Alberta's wildlife.

waterninja 12-11-2014 08:22 PM

Another Question

I wonder if there will be a cutoff date to buy your tags so any unpaid for tags can go to undersubscribed?

AlbertaCutthroat 12-11-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafy (Post 2654823)
Correct me if I am wrong, realistically the number of participants per week seems to managed at 125. So if the herd is nearing the numbers people are saying, removing even 2000 per year would sustain the current numbers but really do nothing in the reduction of this herd.

So assuming a higher success rate of both on and off this area, there would be near 2500 tags to be issued. If half, 1250 licences were allocated to inside the cofounds of CFB, that's two and a half months of hunting. This would cost more than buying a herd of cattle that size :) Where's the golden goose here ?

Now the other half of these tags could not be used outside the confines as the land owners now are upset at the pressure there. Couldn't imagine 1250 licences being issued for this area.

This situation is unfortunately out of control. Millions will be spent on nothing more than allowing opportunity to try and save face with the media, not our group. May sounds harsh, but these funds need to be put to better use IMO. The players in this game should be held accountable for all loss due to their poor management and these golden goose funds allocated to the general good of Alberta's wildlife.

Actually getting there. Consider if there are 7000 elk (higher end of estimate) and the population is growing at 22% per year (what government has estimated) hunters need to harvest approximately 1540 elk. Now, consider a sex ratio of 50% that means we need to harvest 770 cows per year to keep the population stable. There have already been around 300 cows harvested on the base, they intend on harvesting another 500 and that's in addition to whatever cows are harvested in the seasons surrounding the base. Looking at the numbers, they are on track to get these elk in check over the next couple seasons. Double issue cow tags could really fast track the population reduction. Real question is, how many elk do they intend on leaving on the base over the long term? 1000? 2000?

Chukar Hunter 12-11-2014 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 2654557)
Now why wouldn't they just issue one tag/ Hunter and double the number of tags = more opportunity? Or allow the hunter to designate one partner? How many guys will shoot one elk and let the other tag go unfilled?

Weird....

LC

The less they have to indoctrinate on the rules, the easier it gets for them to administer it.

Flatlandliver 12-11-2014 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbertaCutthroat (Post 2654852)
Actually getting there. Consider if there are 7000 elk (higher end of estimate) and the population is growing at 22% per year (what government has estimated) hunters need to harvest approximately 1540 elk. Now, consider a sex ratio of 50% that means we need to harvest 770 cows per year to keep the population stable. There have already been around 300 cows harvested on the base, they intend on harvesting another 500 and that's in addition to whatever cows are harvested in the seasons surrounding the base. Looking at the numbers, they are on track to get these elk in check over the next couple seasons. Double issue cow tags could really fast track the population reduction. Real question is, how many elk do they intend on leaving on the base over the long term? 1000? 2000?

Its been posted on a few threads already but wth.
http://www.bowhunters.ca/uploads/201...Amendments.pdf
Scroll down to the suffield stuff.

Chukar Hunter 12-11-2014 09:01 PM

The only problem I have with this hunt is that of a moral issue. I am not against it because it definitely benefits the health of the herd and the farmers outside. By the time they cows are killed, most are in the later part of their second trimester. Morally, that just feels wrong and I know I am going to get bashed for this, but after all, we leave in a democratic society, don't we?

I may put in for this draw and if drawn, be selective and shoot calves. This kind of opportunity at the time of the year where no season for an edible game animal is open does not come by every year.

Yours in good hunt'n,

CH

boonedocks 12-11-2014 09:04 PM

Cfb suffield access

Can anyone tell us where the hunter check station is located at CFB Suffield? Also what are the rules concerning vehicle access? Field care of two elk per hunter will require good planning/ equipment. With any luck, my son and I will see you there!

Warrior 12-11-2014 09:10 PM

Won't the Bulls be dropping headgear by then?

thumper 12-11-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habfan (Post 2654758)
1 guy gets drawn he gets 2 tags. Only 1 vehicle per drawn person. If he wants to bring somebody or somebodies then they must be in the 1 vehicle. The amount of people you bring with is up to the base to decide, you will find out that # if drawn. :)

Yes, each hunter drawn gets 2 tags - just like supplemental w/tail licenses. I don't see any restrictions on how many drawn hunters can travel in one vehicle.

dshaw 12-11-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrior (Post 2654923)
Won't the Bulls be dropping headgear by then?

No they don't drop until later on in march or even into April.

thumper 12-11-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterninja (Post 2654712)
Just read rules again and am more confused. It states:
"group size for liscence application is limited to two hunters". I read this as you would "share " the 2 tags and not be issued 4. And if two of you are hunting together, what do you call your fellow hunter other then your "partner"?

As I read this, when applying for the draw, a maximum of two hunters can draw together, so they either both get drawn, or both don't. If they are drawn, each hunter gets 2 tags. If they both limit out, that means 4 elk.

Hawckeye 12-11-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habfan (Post 2654563)
I read no partner lisences issued with these tags so you must shoot both if drawn !! I wonder if you can still hunt with someone in your vehicle just to help with loading, cleaning, etc. ?

Yes you as the tag holder have to shoot both animals if you want. You can have up to two helpers pre vehicle to help. The base personal can only provide security and safety for so many hunters thus they are limiting the hunters to 125.

There will be a manator briefing every morning at the RAlston COMMUNITY Center. If you have any question they can be answered then or contact the base range control. They are very helpful.

Your helper or helpers don't need to be hunters but could be.

thumper 12-11-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter (Post 2654909)
The only problem I have with this hunt is that of a moral issue. I am not against it because it definitely benefits the health of the herd and the farmers outside. By the time they cows are killed, most are in the later part of their second trimester. Morally, that just feels wrong and I know I am going to get bashed for this, but after all, we leave in a democratic society, don't we?

I may put in for this draw and if drawn, be selective and shoot calves. This kind of opportunity at the time of the year where no season for an edible game animal is open does not come by every year.

Yours in good hunt'n,

CH

When attempting to knock down population numbers, targeting pregnant females is called a " 2-fur" ( 2 animals for each one shot).

Hawckeye 12-11-2014 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boonedocks (Post 2654911)
Can anyone tell us where the hunter check station is located at CFB Suffield? Also what are the rules concerning vehicle access? Field care of two elk per hunter will require good planning/ equipment. With any luck, my son and I will see you there!

The morning brief is at the RAlston community Center off the 884. Clearly marked with signs. Vehicle access , you have to produce a valid registration and prove of insurance on your first day.

thumper 12-11-2014 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterninja (Post 2654681)
Have to agree. Having trouble figuring out exactly what 2nd hunter really means.
And as far as a "helper", what does that mean exactly? Don't see anything about a "helper" in the rules.

A 'helper' is simply a non-hunter accompanying you. Outside of the base, 'helpers' often carry firearms for varying reasons -(often as defacto, and illegal 'partner hunters'). If stopped and questioned by F&W, they can claim that they're hunting coyotes, rabbits, porcupines, whatever. However, on the base, only elk can be shot - all other animals are protected, so there's no reason a 'helper' need carry a firearm.

'Helpers' might wish to check the Alberta Hunting Regulations' definition of hunting. Pushing bush, intentionally 'blocking' escape routes or communicating game movement/whereabouts for a licensed hunter could be construed to be 'hunting'.

flare 12-11-2014 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter (Post 2654909)

Yours in good hunt'n,

CH

Good point, I never thought of that. Elk gestation is 240-262 days. The first hunt in Feb would put it around 135 days if bred mid September. I am curious what size the fetus would be.

walking buffalo 12-11-2014 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafy (Post 2654823)

Heavy hunting plans are finally being reached.

Next year will likely see a draw for six seasons each having 100 double cow tags and 100 bull tags. That's 1800 tags. There could even be a quota hunt or two added as well.....

There is talk to make the elk season in surrounding wmus a general licence starting in 2016.

It will take a few years, but this kind of hunting effort will bring the elk population down.

boonedocks 12-11-2014 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawckeye (Post 2654962)
The morning brief is at the RAlston community Center off the 884. Clearly marked with signs. Vehicle access , you have to produce a valid registration and prove of insurance on your first day.

Thanks hawckeye, what I was meaning to ask is do you have to keep your vehicle on a designated trail or are you free to use it to recover downed game? Just trying to figure out the logistics of things before I decide who I should ask to apply with me!

OpenRange 12-11-2014 10:01 PM

I hope everyone gives this hunt some serious thought. Only 65% of the hunters drawn in the recently ended seasons on the base have shown up to hunt so far. Remember that this is February and it could be be -40 and have 2 feet of snow on the ground, there could also be a chinook and everything will be nice. My point being the weather has been great and hunters aren't showing up to fill their tags. Don't put in for it if your not 100% certain you can make it there for the hunt. Doesn't do a quota hunt much good if 500 tags go out and only 150 get filled.