Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wainwright 2019 (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=373075)

2 Tollers 12-03-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonedogg (Post 4067462)
don't forget the indigenous and metis hunters gents....... there was 13 registered on the primitive weapons hunt, I'm going to bet there was more for first rifle......

PW should have had 12 actually ---- They put my name on the wrong list.

Day 1 first rifle --- 56

Dewey Cox 12-03-2019 04:24 PM

Do the natives have to play by the primitive weapons rules?

CNP 12-03-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey Cox (Post 4067562)

The military can make any number of rules to follow...…...or go home. But I'm not entirely certain about your question

2 Tollers 12-03-2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey Cox (Post 4067562)

For the PW season everyone has the same rules -- muzzleloader or archery. Same for access -- walk in only -- is walk in only.

trigger7mm 12-03-2019 05:07 PM

Wainwright 2019

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonedogg (Post 4067462)
don't forget the indigenous and metis hunters gents....... there was 13 registered on the primitive weapons hunt, I'm going to bet there was more for first rifle......

Do the Métis hunters have to have a draw to hunt the camp, or do they just have to show up and sign in?

Lefty-Canuck 12-03-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trigger7mm (Post 4067588)
Do the Métis hunters have to have a draw to hunt the camp, or do they just have to show up and sign in?

Same as Suffield

LC

R3illy 12-03-2019 05:19 PM

it's odd longtime members seem to ask the same questions every year.

Dewey Cox 12-03-2019 05:31 PM

I'm not trying to stir the soup.
I wasn't sure how that worked with the primitive weapons season.
I suppose they can rifle hunt year round elsewhere, possibly when it's archery season only for the rest of us. So I wondered if it would be the same on the base.

marky_mark 12-03-2019 08:05 PM

One of the hunts I looked forward to most, has been ruin and will probably come to an end. All in the name of “equal rights”

CBintheNorth 12-03-2019 08:10 PM

Well that's a wrap for me. Cut the trip a day short.
If you've got an upcoming deer licence and are hoping for a good one, I would recommend deploying your last day plan on the first day.
The staff that run everything are top notch, and deserve our gratitude.
Unfortunately every other aspect of the hunt has left a bad taste in my mouth. I will not be reapplying.
Good luck to those still out there and to those waiting their turn...especially those with a moose tag, you're going to need it.

CBintheNorth 12-03-2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 Tollers (Post 4067515)
PW should have had 12 actually ---- They put my name on the wrong list.

Day 1 first rifle --- 56

Today I would say at least 1/3 of those were from Saskatchewan.

ADHAM 12-03-2019 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trigger7mm (Post 4067588)

Nope Métis and indigenous dont need tags. Each member with status cards allowed 1 elk 1 moose and 1 deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heretohunt 12-03-2019 08:46 PM

All they have to do is lower resident tag numbers. Or just eliminate them.

ADHAM 12-03-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 4067589)
Same as Suffield

LC

Camp wainwright have different rules for indigenous and Métis members each member allowed only 1 elk 1 moose and 1 deer while suffield there is no limit!!

R3illy 12-03-2019 08:57 PM

Wouldnt it be great if we had a valued member of the forum who could update us on the hunt at the base? Oh that's right he was always sick of this thread turning into a first nations bash fest.

I cant wait to hear the rumours that start from people that weren't even there.

marky_mark 12-03-2019 09:04 PM

It’s a shame that conservation get thrown out the window in exchange for votes

2 Tollers 12-03-2019 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R3illy (Post 4067738)
Wouldnt it be great if we had a valued member of the forum who could update us on the hunt at the base? Oh that's right he was always sick of this thread turning into a first nations bash fest.

I cant wait to hear all the rumours start from people that weren't even there.

Actually I know that is not right. There was a lot of other complaining going on that was uncalled for related to the hunt operation; landowner tags for military etc. that he had a hand in setting up.

Just take the high road and move on. No sense in stirring the pot on either side. You head out hunting and your truck gets stuck --- you do not like that happening either so do you let the fact that you drive a dodge (:)) and a guy in a Ford goes by you, upset your season.

2 Tollers 12-03-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky_mark (Post 4067743)
It’s a shame that conservation get thrown out the window in exchange for votes

The only way part of the issue can be changed is politically (Metis harvest agreement) however in this specific case this is a Gov of Can base and they set the rules. The harvest agreement has the potential to drastically affect the rest of the province.

We came close to losing this hunt completely a few years back when one base commander that did not like hunting or civilians on his base tried to shut it down. The only way that was changed was people (like you and me) writing to Ottawa and getting pressure put on through Peter McKay down the chain.

marky_mark 12-03-2019 09:11 PM

If he was the guy who was able to get some military members in on this hunt then he deserves a pat on the back

2 Tollers 12-03-2019 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky_mark (Post 4067751)
If he was the guy who was able to get some military members in on this hunt then he deserves a pat on the back

It was his initiative and a very good one. Huge moral booster for the troops.

Warrior 12-04-2019 07:40 AM

Anyhow🦌✔️🦌
How was the hunt numbers yesterday?

CBintheNorth 12-04-2019 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heretohunt (Post 4067719)
All they have to do is lower resident tag numbers. Or just eliminate them.

While I acknowledge that your troll post is merely trying to insight rage amongst licenced hunters, I'll try to bring some rationality to your thought...

The base bios are trying to keep animal populations in check. Allowing aboriginal-only hunting would help keep the moose and bull elk populations in check, but allow a total over-run of the deer and cow elk population.

There are so many different hunters in there with so many different goals that there is bound to be resentment and dissension at some point.
From what I could see you have a mix of the following goals:
B&C moose
Any moose
B&C elk
Any elk
B&C deer
Any deer
There is no one group that has only one of the above goals. It's a mix.
Thus, you will have people who have applied and waited for 8 years that feel that their need to shoot a B&C animal is greater than those who just registered, showed up, and shot one by chance. It's human nature to feel resentment towards that, and understandable if you are able to look at the situation objectively.
An answer to the problem that is totally acceptable to both sides is unnattainable, unfortunately.
Overall I think most people from both sides handle themselves fairly well, all things considered.

CBintheNorth 12-04-2019 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrior (Post 4067890)
Anyhow🦌✔️🦌
How was the hunt numbers yesterday?

x2
Anyone....

Good luck out there today.

heretohunt 12-04-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBintheNorth (Post 4067930)
While I acknowledge that your troll post is merely trying to insight rage amongst licenced hunters, I'll try to bring some rationality to your thought...

The base bios are trying to keep animal populations in check. Allowing aboriginal-only hunting would help keep the moose and bull elk populations in check, but allow a total over-run of the deer and cow elk population.

There are so many different hunters in there with so many different goals that there is bound to be resentment and dissension at some point.
From what I could see you have a mix of the following goals:
B&C moose
Any moose
B&C elk
Any elk
B&C deer
Any deer
There is no one group that has only one of the above goals. It's a mix.
Thus, you will have people who have applied and waited for 8 years that feel that their need to shoot a B&C animal is greater than those who just registered, showed up, and shot one by chance. It's human nature to feel resentment towards that, and understandable if you are able to look at the situation objectively.
An answer to the problem that is totally acceptable to both sides is unnattainable, unfortunately.
Overall I think most people from both sides handle themselves fairly well, all things considered.

I could have been more clear.
Lots of different kinds of hunts going on in a area that we are lucky to access. People were courteous considering the numbers. If you are disappointed in trophy opportunities perhaps this hunt isn’t for you. There is no scouting or preparing. No getting to “your spot”. First come first serve on a cull hunt. Luck is a large part on this hunt more than others.

Lefty-Canuck 12-04-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADHAM (Post 4067720)
Camp wainwright have different rules for indigenous and Métis members each member allowed only 1 elk 1 moose and 1 deer while suffield there is no limit!!

My comment was towards their access to hunt the base.

LC

MathewsArcher 12-04-2019 11:27 AM

I have also heard that while it is recommended that FN and metis restrict their harvest that given their treaty rights it cannot be enforced. Staff working at the hunt would not confirm or deny that this was the case when asked.

ADHAM 12-04-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heretohunt (Post 4068031)

Lots of different kinds of hunts going on in a area that we are lucky to access. People were courteous considering the numbers. If you are disappointed in trophy opportunities perhaps this hunt isn’t for you. There is no scouting or preparing. No getting to “your spot”. First come first serve on a cull hunt. Luck is a large part on this hunt more than others.

100% agree

CBintheNorth 12-04-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heretohunt (Post 4068031)

Not sure if the bolded line was a general statement or directed at me, but I was not dissapointed in the trophy opportunities. In order to be disappointed you must first have a preconceived expectation. I have never been on base so didn't know what to expect, animal wise.

The rest of your statement I totally agree with.

JonC 12-04-2019 08:05 PM

Hunt numbers anyone?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

KBF 12-04-2019 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathewsArcher (Post 4068060)
I have also heard that while it is recommended that FN and metis restrict their harvest that given their treaty rights it cannot be enforced. Staff working at the hunt would not confirm or deny that this was the case when asked.

Fox in a hen house comes to mind.