Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   #8 or 7 1/2 shot for sale? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=137624)

catnthehat 06-20-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 1488060)
I was waiting on that order as well. Luckily,I picked up 25 flats of Winchester target loads from Bashaw last weekend, so I am good for the rest of this year.

I'm going to have to put out a special box for those guys shooting Winchesters so they can toss their unwanted hulls in there!:medium-smiley-035:
Cat

elkhunter11 06-20-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

I'm going to have to put out a special box for those guys shooting Winchesters so they can toss their unwanted hulls in there!
I have a few more flats of Top Guns to use up, then you can have the Winchesters as I shoot them.

catnthehat 06-20-2012 11:15 PM

I have load data for the Top Guns as well, but prefer the HS type hulls, because the Top Guns are a paper base wad.:)
Cat

gopher 06-20-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 1488064)
I'm going to have to put out a special box for those guys shooting Winchesters so they can toss their unwanted hulls in there!:medium-smiley-035:
Cat

You must have tight chambers or a mec sizer those steel based hulls are a bugger.

RobG10 06-20-2012 11:59 PM

Yea that back order put us all in to panic mode, cya tomorrow for that reloading lesson cat! hahaha

catnthehat 06-21-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopher (Post 1488099)
You must have tight chambers or a mec sizer those steel based hulls are a bugger.

All my MEC loaders have collet die sizers on them .
Cat

ShawnM 06-21-2012 07:56 AM

Can't wait to hear how the shot maker goes Cat! I'm am > < this close to ordering one myself. I have at least 100lbs of lead waiting for a purpose.

PJT 06-21-2012 04:12 PM

Call GRC in Edmonton, the old lock and load. Aks Blair for the number for MAX
He makes shot here in Edmonton
780-452-9955
They will be open till 8 PM tonight

Supermag 06-21-2012 11:25 PM

Are you guys just having a hard time finding target loads? Cabelas has some "Canadian Special" ones on sale right now. $55 a case, and they are red and white. :)

catnthehat 06-22-2012 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave C (Post 1489530)
Are you guys just having a hard time finding target loads? Cabelas has some "Canadian Special" ones on sale right now. $55 a case, and they are red and white. :)

The last time someone was down there was a couple of weeks ago and all they had was a few flats left - they may have got more in however.

To make a special trip down there for that kind of savings however is a bit non-productive for one guy.
The didn't have anything the last time I was down there.
Cat

ShawnM 06-22-2012 07:38 AM

Not to mention it's not an apples to apples comparison. A handload should be compared to a premium shell like a Winchester AA or Kent Diamond Shot. Comparing a handload to the kind of shell you get for $55/250 is like comparing a hand loaded bullet to the kind you buy from China in a tin of 1000...

They may work ok but I'd rather practice with hand loads because that's what I'd be using in a competition.

catnthehat 06-22-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnM (Post 1489760)
Not to mention it's not an apples to apples comparison. A handload should be compared to a premium shell like a Winchester AA or Kent Diamond Shot. Comparing a handload to the kind of shell you get for $55/250 is like comparing a hand loaded bullet to the kind you buy from China in a tin of 1000...

They may work ok but I'd rather practice with hand loads because that's what I'd be using in a competition.

Just take a look at the wads that the cheap stuff is loaded with and then WWAA , Kent TC ,or Rem STS wad - BIG difference!
Cat

Supermag 06-22-2012 08:37 AM

I agree completely. I don't shoot trap very often, and certainly not enough to get into loading shotgun shells. I just buy the Federal target loads for general use on grouse, some casual clay shooting and for the shotgun parts of 3-gun matches.

I suspect that if I tried handloads for some of these, I would be spoiled. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make in a cylinder bore tactical style shotgun for 3-gun, but it would be interesting to try. :)

catnthehat 06-22-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave C (Post 1489836)
I agree completely. I don't shoot trap very often, and certainly not enough to get into loading shotgun shells. I just buy the Federal target loads for general use on grouse, some casual clay shooting and for the shotgun parts of 3-gun matches.

I suspect that if I tried handloads for some of these, I would be spoiled. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make in a cylinder bore tactical style shotgun for 3-gun, but it would be interesting to try. :)

The big difference you would find would be between a 7/8oz load and a 1 1/8 factory load as far as recoil and repeated sight picture goes - lots easier to keep the bead where it is supposed t0 be when you are recoiling lighter!
For the ocasional round of skeet or trap, no, not a lot of difference except i the recoil.

To gear up for a flat of ammo a year is not really cost effective, but when you are shooting high volume, yup.

I was talking to a fella at the range the other day, his son
( a member here) at one time was doing the ATA circuit and shooting a real hot load, one that I could not shoot myself, and to buy them would be special order.
My load is not available on many store shelves either, it is a lighter load that
is 24 grams.

That is the nice thing about hand loading, plus it is very relaxing after a hrad day at work or early in the morning with a cup of coffee and CKUA on the box!:)
Cat