Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Buying Flies During the Pandemic (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=381569)

CatchingWithChris 06-13-2020 12:58 PM

Worth it

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HuyFishin (Post 4173881)

I ordered a few from this Etsy shop because of the positive reviews and to support local. Smooth and easy transaction with fast shipping. I had a ton of luck with them yesterday fishing for browns with flies exclusively from this shop. I’d recommend!

I attached one of many pics.

Mr Flyguy 06-13-2020 06:33 PM

Those prices are ridiculous, just tie your own!

Dean2 06-14-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy (Post 4186467)
Those prices are ridiculous, just tie your own!

After reading your comment I clicked on the link. If those prices are for one fly then I agree with you completely. Those prices are way past nutz, not to mention 9 bucks shipping on top of it. There are a ton of local guys selling hand tied flies for way less money than that.

southernman 06-14-2020 07:28 PM

I just looked, looks like price is for three nymphs, and they appear to all be tungsten bead heads, and temico barbless jig hooks, yep they expensive, but perhaps, not as bad as it first appears,

Dean2 06-14-2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southernman (Post 4186991)
I just looked, looks like price is for three nymphs, and they appear to all be tungsten bead heads, and temico barbless jig hooks, yep they expensive, but perhaps, not as bad as it first appears,

Well three for that price is far better than one but rather than 10 times that is still triple what most flies cost. Ifb a fellow doesn't use many flies I guess u can go that way but it would make putting a collection together pretty expensive.

Dielbo 06-27-2020 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outbound (Post 4174393)
Quality they may be but even in packs of 3 they're averaging $3 - $4 per fly, just looking at his nymphs. Most other online tiers aren't much more than $1 each for similar nymphs.

The only difference I can see is the expensive ones look like they're tied on jig heads. Not sure that's worth pay 2 or 3 times the cost of a regular bead head fly pattern.

He says:

"I have definitely heard that my flies are pricey and that isnt wrong. I'm using quality tungsten, hooks and lead free wire in almost every fly and gluing materials between steps. My flies dont bust apart. Period. Sorry to say but if you're looking for cheap, this isnt the shop for you."

His prices are inline with what you would pay at Fish Tales or O.F.F. for similar flies. I don't see how one could make such a fly for a $1. Tungsten bead-heads, top-quality hooks, and non-tox heavy alloy tying wire is all quite expensive.

HuyFishin 06-27-2020 08:22 PM

Tungsten beads, competition grade hooks. Doesn't seem so bad.
If you're cheap or frugal then it's probably not for you. A cheap hook and a high end hook both catch fish. If you appreciate well made products then this will work for you

Same way some people say gloomis or stcroix fishing rods are over priced and claim that an ugly stick is the same thing 😂

It's not overpriced. It's priced fair for what it is.

Smoky buck 06-27-2020 08:35 PM

Sure glad I tie my own :sHa_sarcasticlol: